Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Not my favorite game

Monday we went to Trader Joe's and I forgot to post this story, but it's worth posting belatedly.

I was looking for an item that I specifically called ahead for, and this Trader Joe's had it (but not the other two that are a little closer). I don't know if Lukas has ever been to this store before, but when we entered I saw a sign that told kids that if they found the turtle that is hiding in the store, they would get a treat. So I told Lukas about it, and that was a big mistake! Instead of looking for it himself, which I thought would keep my attention free to shop, he kept bugging me to help him find it. I encouraged him to look around for it, but he may be a little young for the game (he, who notices all the speakers and all the sprinklers and all the ventilation shafts in a room the moment he walks in).

We got to the checkout and we still hadn't seen it, and as I was trying to calm him with "maybe next time we'll find it," the checker told me where it was (close by). So I took Lukas there and said, "It's right in there" and went back to pay my bill. I kept watch on Lukas and saw another employee talking to him, and then I saw him semi-frantically looking for me, so I waved and called his name. He saw me and came running, saying, "She said they moved it and it's in the milk."

So after we had paid and gotten all the bags in the cart (Natalie has no idea what's causing Lukas' consternation), we went back and I saw the stuffed toy turtle on the top of the milk case. I lifted Lukas up and pointed to it and said, "Lukas, what is that!?" He said, "It's a frog." Hmmm. "No, it's a turtle, and his name is Tommy." So we went back to the front office and I told Lukas to tell the employee, "The turtle's name is Tommy." Lukas walked in, looked dazed, then turned to me and said, "What am I supposed to say?" I repeated it, and he said, "I found Tommy." The employee held out a basket with lollipops in it, Lukas thought he was giving him the whole basket, but I convinced him to just take one.

He was a very happy boy, and said, "Next time I will look for the turtle again." I told him that they may not have the game the next time we go there, but he was certain they would, so...

I'm not going back to that TJs with Lukas! And I hope this doesn't mean when I go to the TJs I normally go to, that he's going to be looking for a turtle!

No comments: