Sunday, July 15, 2007

Yes, we have tomatoes!

Ok, so we have a lot of tomatoes.

Tom and I planted six tomato plants, and five of them are producing (I think I picked only one late-producer, whose tomatoes are now starting to become red). And somehow five of the plants produce medium to large tomatoes, so we have pounds of tomatoes.

Yes, we're eating tomatoes every day (building up for the winter when we won't be able to eat as much). We usually just have tomato chunks with olive oil and rice vinegar, but twice we've also had a dinner of Insalata Caprese (see picture), which is sliced tomatoes, sliced mozzarella cheese, olive oil, salt and chopped fresh basil. I serve it with baguette slices, and it's a lite evening meal or a great appetizer.

I made some peach freezer jam, and I need to seriously consider how to store some of our tomatoes. Please send me your ideas! Of course, I'm giving tomatoes away to anyone who will take them, but I still have too many.

Which is better than having too few, any day of the year!

No comments: