Monday, November 12, 2007

What day is today?

We were in the car, on the way to the clinic for Natalie's Monday therapy sessions when I realized, "There aren't many cars on the road today!" Despite what you might think, Tom did have to work today, so I wasn't thinking about today being a holiday for many people. I called the clinic, and sure enough, they are closed, so we quickly went home and had a fun morning of baking cookies and shopping...well, the baking was fun, but the shopping was a little bit of a chore.

When I told Lukas that we were going to bake cookies, he asked to make "molasses oatmeal cookies." I've made molasses cookies, and I've made oatmeal cookies, but never the two together. I told him we were going to make chocolate chip cookies, so he asked to make "molasses oatmeal chocolate chip" cookies. Sorry, I don't have a recipe for that! Lukas said, "The recipe is: you cream butter and sugar together and add molasses and flour." He's been paying attention! I asked if there is any baking soda in this recipe, and he said, "Yes, baking soda, but no baking powder."

Obviously I don't make chocolate chip cookies often enough (Tom's favorite is oatmeal raisin) because Lukas doesn't even know what chocolate chips are! I got out the bag of chocolate chips, and Lukas kept calling them "brownies"...the actual chocolate chips, he called "brownies"! I told him they are chocolate chips, and he said, "They don't look like chips."

Tom came home for lunch and we had the cookies for dessert. Natalie knows what cookies are...once they are on the table, she stops eating anything else and points her hand towards the cookies. Yes, she has a sweet tooth!

No comments: