Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Fast Food Kids' Meals

I have to share my favorite fast food restaurant to buy a kids' meal: it's Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill. Ok, it's fast food, but it's good fast food, and it ends up being a deal that everyone loves.

I get together with Rebecca from my last job (my last paying job, that is!) every few months, and we always visit the Rubio's near her work. Why? Lukas loves it, it's easy to take kids, it's healthy, and it's near Rebecca's work...and the best reason is that once kids get in a routine, whatever that routine is becomes the easiest thing to do.

But back to Rubio's kids' meal: it's $3.99 for a drink (milk for Lukas); and either a cheese quesadilla, 2 chicken taquitos, a bean burrito, or a fish taco; and rice or beans or chips; and a churro; and a toy. When we visit Rebecca, I order two kids' meals for $7.98 and that feeds Lukas, Natalie and me (today I thought Natalie would eat more, so I also ordered a fish taco, but I shouldn't have...just two kids' meals is fine).

So the food is great, there's plenty of it (the adult portions are huge, so a kids' meal is fine), the price is right for three people, and the toys are always way better than any other fast food restaurant (I don't really buy kids' meals at other fast food restaurants because they aren't economical and/or they don't give me what I want to feed my kids, and the toys are usually not worth anything). Have I mentioned that some fast food restaurants don't sell milk? I'm sorry if you think we're crazy, but soda has not yet passed Lukas' lips...he thinks it's an "adult beverage" like beer and wine, and we're going to keep it that way as long as possible!

Ok, I admit that I even buy the kids' meal for myself when it's just Tom and me. It's the perfect size! How many of you buy kids' meals for yourself? Please, tell me I'm not alone!

2 comments:

BusyBee said...

Hi Cindy,
I rarely comment, partially due to lack of time at my computer, but I had to comment on this post. We too, love kids' meals and Rubio's is our favorite. The quesadilla is huge, so I share it with Bella and order an extra taco for myself. We also love Daphne's, their kids' meal is just as big as the adult meal and comes with a regular drink....I just told David the other day how much I love being able to order kids meals now that we have Bella.

Michelle said...

ok I can't say I buy the kids meal for myself but we too have yet to let Austin have the "grown up" drink soda. =) Both my husband and I were brought up that it was a treat for older kids so it was an easy decision for us!