Wednesday, April 23, 2008

It's the little things

Today I feel super organized, even though I didn't get much done besides playing with, teaching, feeding and changing three small children. But I did get a nap! Oh, yeah, we also turned in our cans and bottles for $2.89...that's about two months' worth of cans and bottles at our house. The only reason I recycle is to keep the scroungers from fishing through our trash cans on trash day (one of my big pet peeves). The money doesn't make it worth it at all, but Lukas enjoys helping me sort the cans and bottles at the recycling place.

And the icing on the cake is: I clipped the fingernails and toenails of all three children!

I don't know if this is a challenge for anyone else, but the moment I had two children, clipping nails became a huge chore. My kids need manicures and pedicures once a week or they have scratches all over their faces and split toenails. Multiply that by three and it's a chore. I should pick a "nail clipping" day to do it once a week, but I haven't done that yet. Usually the things that rise to the top as the most important get taken care of first: hungry, dirty diaper, need a hug. I get around to clipping the nails when I see a tear in one of Natalie's finger nails and think, "Yikes, she just came back from therapy...her therapists must think I don't care for her at all," or I see slashes on Konrad's face and think, "Wow, that could have been his eye," or I see Lukas' toes and think, "How much longer can those get before he starts clicking on the floor?"

How old are kids when they start doing their own nails, safely? I remember clipping my nails when I was six, but I don't think I did a very good job.

I think I have a lot of nail clipping years ahead of me.

No comments: