Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sometimes things don't work out the way we want them to.

This morning was a hard morning: the kids slept in but we still had to be out the door by 7:10 to get gas before arriving at Natalie's clinic at 8 a.m. (yes, I should have taken care of the empty gas tank yesterday, but I didn't!) Lukas didn't get more than a glass of milk down (his Cheerios in a bag to eat in the car), Natalie didn't finish her breakfast but at least ate something, but of course Konrad was fully stocked at 6 a.m. I drank a glass of milk and we were on our way.

After the gas station, I asked Lukas why he wasn't eating breakfast...he then realized he had forgotten the bag of Cheerios. He cried a lot and wanted me to turn around to go home and get them, but we were too far on the way to the clinic to turn around then. I told him we'd pick up something for breakfast, but the only thing (suddenly) he wanted for breakfast was Cheerios.

Lukas and I both had breakfast while Natalie was at therapy...then we stopped by the optometrist to get her glasses adjusted since she'd tweaked them in the car (thankfully--for the umpteenth time--they didn't break). Poor Konrad never got more than 5 minutes of nap here and there during all the running around, and had his 10 am feeding at 10:30 (he's soooo forgiving that way...I never could have stretched Lukas like I often stretch Konrad in both eating and sleeping).

It was a hard morning.

But this post is about what turned this day around for me: at lunch, Lukas told Tom about what happened with his Cheerios and then said, "Sometimes things don't work out the way we want them to."

Wow. WOW. WWWWOOOOWWW.

I guess that's one of the "Mommy proverbs" I tell Lukas most. Nope, I didn't say it this morning, although it certainly applied. But Lukas had internalized it and applied it to the situation today on his own.

So instead of my words coming back to me where I cringe ("sorry, Lukas, I shouldn't have called that driver 'stupid'"), here are my own words coming back to me where I can be so proud of and hopeful for my son that he will begin to learn this lesson early.

I know I'm still learning it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know why. That post brought a tear to my eye. Probably because I can relate to it so much. You seem to handle those mornings so patiently and it seems that it is wearing off in a positive way for Lukas. We tell that "Mommy Proverb" around here too. I am proud of both Lukas AND you!

:)Cheryl:)