Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Check ups

On Monday, the day after Konrad turned one, I got the first comment of "twins?" I'm sure this is going to happen more and more in the next year as Konrad catches up with Natalie, both in size and ability.

Today I brought our "twins" to the pediatrician to have their one- and three-year check ups. She asked me which I wanted to go first, and I said, "whoever's chart you have on top...I don't care!" Konrad is 32 inches tall and 23 pounds, 10 ounces (97th percentile for height and 60th for weight). He has fallen a little behind Lukas' height and weight at this age (Lukas was 33 inches and 24 lb 7 oz).

Natalie is 35 inches tall and 31 pounds (6th percentile for height and 50th for weight). On the RTS curve, Natalie is 25th percentile for height and 40th for weight...RTS kids tend to be a little plumper, after the first year of not knowing if they will ever gain weight!

I asked the pediatrician if she was worried about the disparity between Natalie's height and weight, and she said when she looks at the numbers, she thinks Natalie is a little heavy, but when she looks at Natalie's body, Natalie looks fine...and for RTS, Natalie is perfectly average. Weight will probably be an issue for all of Natalie's life, so we have to continue good eating habits.

We got a referral to a pediatric dentist for Natalie, and the pediatrician wrote a prescription so we should start receiving diapers through insurance soon (since insurance pays if the child isn't potty trained by 3 years of age)...I don't know if this is the case for typical kids who aren't potty trained by 3, but I've heard it's the case for special needs kids.

The thing that made the visit easy was that Sarah watched Lukas for me, so I didn't have the Lukas chatter going on in the background. I can handle two kids at a doctor visit, but three kids is a challenge.

We're so thankful that all our kids are healthy and growing well!

4 comments:

Joshua said...

Natalie and Konrad will definitely be called 'twins' later in the future. My sister and I are only fourteen and a half months apart and people still ask us if we are 'twins' at 19 and 18. It is hilarious at times.

Kelly said...

Thanks for all of the good information. Good to know about the diapers. I have been beating myself up about not scheduling a dentist appointment. I need to get on that.
I have really been stressing about AnnaKate's weight. We struggled for so long to gain weight and now she is a little chunky. I want to make sure good eating habits start now.
Kelly W.

Cindy said...

Kelly, I haven't thought Natalie needed a dental visit before now. I don't think there is anything a dentist would do now...I just want to develop a relationship and get her used to someone poking around in her mouth. I forgot to mention that she said "ahhhh" really well for the pediatrician when the doctor looked at her teeth today!

Michelle said...

Andrew and Konrad are practically identiccal in height and weight. How funny! We also get the diapers through our insurance but we didn't know we could get them as soon as 3 and Austin was around 5! All that money!