Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Switcheroo

After four months of three kids in one bedroom, we're having a fun time spreading out again. Before Kathrin and Doris arrived, Konrad had the small bedroom to himself (since he was still the most likely to make noise in the middle of the night) and Lukas and Natalie shared the larger bedroom.

Now that Konrad is reliably sleeping the whole night, we're moving Natalie into the small bedroom by herself and Lukas and Konrad will share "the boys' room". Here's the conversation between Lukas and me this morning as I transferred Natalie's clothing to her new dresser:

L: I'm giving Konrad a new nightlight in his bedroom.
C: This is going to be Natalie's room now, not Konrad's.
L: Where is Konrad going to sleep?
C: In your bedroom, where he is now.
...pause 30 seconds...
L: So where am I going to sleep in Natalie's room?
C: You're going to share a room with Konrad, and Natalie's going to have her own room.

I could see that the whole concept of Lukas NOT sharing a room with Natalie was taking him a few minutes to process. I don't think he can remember a time when he didn't share a room with Natalie...from the day she came home from the hospital, they have shared a room (she slept so quietly as an infant, she didn't need a room to herself). Even though we've talked about Konrad and him sharing a room in the past, it took some time for him to register that this is the day!

L: Mom, that means when Konrad is 3, we can get bunkbeds!

Actually, we'll probably get bunkbeds for them next summer, when Konrad is 2.5. Lukas may be assuming it will be a long time, since Natalie is still in a crib. Tom and I are thinking that perhaps next summer, when Konrad transitions into a regular bed, Natalie might also get a regular bed. So many RTS kids get up at night and walk around the house, that I have not been eager to give her the freedom to do that. I think that when we do make the switch, we'll leave her crib in the same room with the regular bed, and if she gets up at night, she goes in the crib...hopefully she'll learn that if she wants to sleep in a big-girl bed, she has to stay in it. We shall see...that's several months away!

...and Konrad's highchair has been changed to a booster chair at the table. THAT will be a new adventure!

...and Natalie took off her socks and put them in her wrong drawer this morning. Except now it's not her drawer anymore, so I will have to teach her where her new drawer is...and which drawer to put her socks in, while I'm at it.

Lots of fun changes!

4 comments:

Anxious AF said...

That is a good idea about the crib and bed in the same room. My joel stayed in his crib until he was three, so I imagine Alex will stay in his much longer, Im in no rush as long as he isnt climbing out of it.
Good luck with all these changes!

Sarah said...

Wow sooo many changes! That is so exciting. I can't believe how big all of them are since last I saw you guys. I'm excited for Lukas about the bunk beds next summer. I always remembered wanting one, but being the only girl that never ended up happening LOL

Michelle said...

Wow, lots of changes! I would LOVE to put both boys in a room together but as you mentioned Austin does get up sometimes. We baby gate him in his room but almost every night we have to pick him up (sleeping) off the floor and put him back in his bed. He also randomly wakes at the crack of dawn whereas Andrew sleeps til 7ish. It'll happen someday right? LOL

Cindy said...

And I've gotten grief for leaving Lukas in his crib until he was 2.5, Jessica, you left Joel until he was 3! That's great...kids need boundaries.

Sarah, I'm wondering if Natalie's going to want a bunk bed too... :(

That's one of the drawbacks of all this, Michelle...I wonder how being in a room by herself will affect Natalie.