Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Eight weeks!

Dominik is eight weeks old today.  He is dishing out a lot of smiles, but we're enjoying them so much we don't stop to get the camera (we might miss the biggest smile!)...maybe this next week I'll pull myself away from his smiling face to take a photo.

Like most (all?) babies, Dominik was born with blue eyes.  Tom has blue eyes and I have brown; Lukas and Konrad have brown eyes and Natalie has hazel eyes like Tom's mom.  So I was hoping Tom would have one blue-eyed child.  But eight weeks later, it looks like Dominik's blue eyes are starting to turn brown.  The colored part around the pupil started lightening a couple weeks ago, but now that lighter part looks tan, which says to me that they're turning brown.  Hey, I love brown eyes (both my parents and three of my siblings have brown eyes; only my youngest brother pulled out the recessive gene to show blue eyes).

Dominik is doing great with stretching out his feedings.  The past few nights, he's fussed a little at six hours after the previous feeding.  I've gone in and given him a pacy before he gets full-blown fussy and he's settled down to sleep for another hour or 90 minutes.  So far, he's my best sleeper yet!  Well, except Natalie.  At this age, she would also sleep for six hours, but we couldn't let her sleep that long because we had to wake her to feed her:  she didn't go much above her birth weight until she got a g-tube.

And speaking of weight gain, Dominik is gaining well but I don't have the impression that he is growing into a giant baby as Lukas and Konrad both did.  Or maybe I'm so used to giant babies that his size seems "normal" to me and he actually is a giant baby!  Anyway, we'll find out at his two-month check up next week.  I won't be disappointed if he's down in the 50-70% instead of 95%...smaller babies are a lot easier to carry and they don't grow out of carseats and clothing so quickly!

Anyway, the newness hasn't worn off with the kids.  They are all enraptured with Dominik, always asking to hold him, always wanting to say hi to him.  It's wonderful to see siblings so happily welcoming a new member of the team.

No comments: