Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Monday, Lexington to Bowling Green

Monday morning when I woke up, my eye felt better, then started to feel worse and worse.  When Lukas and I came back up to the room after breakfast, I told Tom I needed to see a doctor (after he experienced a comedy of events that hopefully he will blog about).  Tom called our insurance company and found an ER close by.  We left Annina with the kids in the hotel room and Tom, Dominik and I went to the hospital.  The ER at 9 am is not that busy in Lexington!  I was seen right away and they determined I had a large scratch on my cornea.  So I spent the rest of the day with a patch on my eye and antibiotics in my eye.  I have never spent the whole day with an eye patch...already wearing glasses instead of contacts I feel handicapped, and to wear glasses and only have the use of one eye in an unfamiliar environment was very uncomfortable.    When we finally got on the road about 11:30 a.m. and went to Old Ford Harrod State Park, I realized my problem with depth perception.  I tried to touch something in front of me and had to move my hand several times to find it.  Thankfully I didn't fall the whole day, but I did take it easy with watching the kids since I had to be more careful. Annina has been so helpful the whole trip, but today I don't think we could have gone to any sites without her and still kept our sanity...and going to the ER with all the kids would have been a nightmare.



Can I just say that Kentucky is beautiful?  We loved seeing the horse farms and beautiful black barns and black horse fences with well-kept lawns and grounds...Kentuckians are mowing a lot!

For lunch we got Lee's Chicken and had a picnic lunch at the Fort.  I was surprised that Tom agreed to stop at Lee's because we never go to KFC.  But he said although he doesn't like "Kentucky Fried Chicken," we're in Kentucky, so let's try the fried chicken!  Boy, was that a terrific meal!  The chicken was wonderful, the biscuits were from scratch (unlike the national chain) and the beans and coleslaw were great too!  And they gave us a jug of sweet tea.

But the adventure of my eye caused us to shorten our tourist plans for the day.  We had to skip going to Maker's Mark factory and Abraham Lincoln's Birthplace and went to the Perryville Battlefield (Civil War) instead.

When we arrived in Bowling Green, there was some sort of car show/car race staying at our hotel...must find out more tomorrow, but it made for a cute pic with the kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you all have made it home safely. Or not there yet? I can't believe that happened to your eye. The same thing happened to Noah before and he was in severe pain.