Tuesday, October 30, 2007

WFMW--The best tasting coffee ever

You may have already heard of "cold-brewed coffee," but I learned of it for the first time a couple months ago from my younger brother. I finally tried it about a month ago and I won't go back to "hot-brewed coffee" at home, and here's why.

Tom doesn't drink coffee...he detests the flavor (even coffee-flavored desserts are a no-go)...he does likes the smell, but that doesn't use up coffee! Anyway, if I'm going to drink coffee, either I pay an arm and a leg at Starbucks, or I make a fresh cup or pot every morning, just for myself. It's a lot of work for one cup, and there can be waste if you don't drink all that you make. I even have used a single-cup coffee maker for almost a year, but I got tired of having it take up space on my counter just for me.

So my solution is cold-brewed coffee. Here's how you make it:

Mix a pound of coffee with 9 cups of cold water in a pitcher, cover and put it in the fridge overnight (12 hours, more or less). Then the next morning, strain the coffee through a sieve, throw out the grounds and save the coffee-concentrate in a smaller bottle in the fridge for the next two weeks. Don't bother straining through a coffee filter...I tried that and it didn't really help, but it made more of a mess.

Then mix 1 part coffee-concentrate to 3 parts water (or milk, or add a little milk to the water and coffee-concentrate) and heat it in the microwave for 2 minutes, and voila! there's the best coffee you ever tasted. For more detailed instructions, you can visit this site.

There are SO many benefits to making coffee this way:
  • Cold-brewed coffee doesn't have the acid of hot-brewed coffee, so it is MUCH less bitter. My brother described it "as smooth as chocolate milk", which I didn't believe until I tasted it...it's true!
  • After the initial prep, it's much faster to make coffee each morning
  • There is no wasted coffee left in the coffee pot that no one drank
  • You only deal with the mess of coffee grinds once every two weeks, instead of every morning
  • If you feel like a cup of coffee later in the day, it's easy to make, without starting a fresh pot (I only have it in the morning, because if I drink coffee too late in the day, I won't be able to nap)

You can also buy a cold-brew coffee maker, but for me, that's just one more small appliance to store.

This works great for me, I hope it works for you! For more of my WFMW ideas, go here, and visit Shannon for a boatload of new ideas this week.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great idea - I'll have to try that one.
Just one question, though - how do you "mix it in a picture"? Does it require Photoshop to make this exotic coffee, or just a really deep picture frame? :-)
Robert

infinitygoods.com said...

I had never heard of that. I retired my coffee pot and now drink only tea, but you've intrigued me so much that I'm going to try this recipe just to taste this "smooth as chocolate" claim.

Cindy said...

Robert, thanks for catching the typo!

SAHMmy Says said...

Wow--I've never heard of this before! We drink loads of coffee here; I'll definitely be trying this out!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great idea, but does anyone know how many cups of dry coffee there are in a pound? I usually buy a large can.

The Daileys said...

That sounds wonderful! I will be trying THIS tip, that's for sure! My hubby has been restricted from caffeine by his doctor so I will be trying it with decaf... maybe the taste will help him to avoid Starbucks and use good 'ol home COLD brewed coffee!

Phyllis Sommer said...

wow, that sounds so good...i think i'm going to have to try it! thanks for this great tip.

Cindy said...

Jbettin, sorry, I don't know how many cups are in a pound...it would probably depend on settling and the size of the grind. A VERY ballpark estimate would be 3 cups, but I would use my kitchen scales to try to be a little more exact. It's not a huge deal if you're off a little, because you can increase or decrease the ratio of coffee-concentrate to water.

Tiffany said...

My husband is a big coffee drinker. He will probably be hard to convince, but I will give it a try!

Cyndy said...

From one Cyndy married to a Tom to another Cindy married to a Tom, This sounds wonderful! I will definately be trying it!