Monday, September 1, 2008

The Labor Day Party

It's still freezing cold in Southern California (only a high of 82 today), but we tried to convince our kids and their friends to use the water slide anyway. They enjoyed it for about five minutes (ok, maybe 15) and then shiveringly decided that the bubble machine, sidewalk chalk, and squirt guns were more fun.

Nine kids! That's a busy dinnertime. Thankfully Kim helped with Konrad while I got dinner ready, although every time I walked by, he let me know he wasn't happy that I wasn't feeding him. Even though Kim thinks she's out of practice with a baby, it's really like riding a bike!

It was fun to see Lauren, Jessica, Carly and Coco join Natalie's clapping game. Someone asked me this weekend if we are constantly clapping with her at home. Natalie does clap with us at home, but not nearly as much as she does with people she doesn't see every day (including complete strangers). I don't know if it's her way of communicating with other people, but she's pretty adamant about clapping with everyone she meets!

And Natalie did great at the kids' table with the meal, too! She ate hot dog, corn on the cob and cantaloupe. She apparently still doesn't like strawberries...what's wrong with her!?!

Lukas had a very fun time, and has actually been doing much better with behavior at parties with a large number of kids lately. It could be because he's getting older, or that he learned some social skills in preschool, or that he's responding better to his parents' training, or all three!

In keeping with the summer of cupcakes, we had cupcakes for dessert. I know, too many choices when the cake and the frosting are mixed up like this...but I actually only have two (out of 24) left over, which means I won't be eating them this week! And it means there's more chance I can whittle away some of the pregnancy pounds from #2 pregnancy when there aren't 10 cupcakes sitting in the kitchen begging to be eaten.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

What fun...AnnaKate is a clapper too. I love how happy all "The Happy Ones" always are!

Beautiful cupcakes!

Kelly W