Monday, February 5, 2007

THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT...

...Lukas is no longer taking an afternoon nap. This is a monumental step for a mother...potty training is one of those steps I look forward to, but the end of the afternoon nap is not one I was looking forward to. I have been dreading this for the past almost-three years.

Although I am making this announcement to the world, I would not be a bit sorry to take it back, in case Lukas decides to return to napping. But he hasn't napped in over a week, so at this stage I either need to cut back on his night-time sleep, or resign myself to no more nap.

I've been trying to move him into the "quiet time" period, reading books on his bed. However, since he talks outloud when he's reading books, and he shares a room with Natalie, this is not conducive to Natalie's sleep. I am going to have to give some thought to changing the location of his quiet time.

On the subject of reading, I've been working with Lukas on learning to read, on and off, for the past five or six months. I'm using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, which Kim loaned to me. I started about six months ago, and Lukas would sit for a lesson for about four or five days, then couldn't be bothered. I quit it, and started again a month or so later, only to find that he would still just tolerate it for three or four days before being completely bored.

The latest attempt has involved a bag of lollipops...he gets a lollipop after he sits still and participates for a lesson (10-15 minutes a day). He's been doing well for over a week now (actually wants to do it), and today he sounded out, by himself, "am" and "sat". He recognizes and knows the sounds for m, s, r, t, and a. The books says it's for "very bright three and a half year olds or average four and five year olds". I'm counting on Lukas already being a very bright three and a half year old...he turns three this month!

Anyway, I don't want to discourage him from reading aloud (which is really just him talking about what he remembers us saying on each page of the book), since this is definitely a step towards actually reading.

No comments: