Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Happy Ones are all home!

I'm glad I spent two nights in the hospital...it's not home, but it's a little more quiet than my home right now, so Konrad and I could get the feeding thing started without too many distractions. But it is wonderful to be home again! Today has gone well...it's a LOT easier bringing home a newborn when it's not your first child.

But to back up a few days, Tom and I are very thankful for how well the delivery went. Thank you to everyone for your prayers for a safe delivery and healthy baby. I don't know how it could have gone better. The nurse logged that my labor started about 9:45 a.m. on Friday, and Konrad arrived at 3:47 p.m. My OB was there, and he and the nurses were great.

I was also pleased with how the epidural went. With my first two pregnancies, I got way too much in the epidural, so I had no feeling in my legs for pushing with Lukas, and with Natalie I couldn't feel my legs for many hours after delivery and had to be pushed around in a wheelchair for a long time. This time, the anesthesiologist gave me a low dose, and I had the option of pushing a button to self-administer additional happy medicine. It worked great! I wasn't completely pain free, but I was pain free enough for me while still having feeling.

Here are some pictures of coming home today. Lukas drew a picture for Konrad and Aunt Chris put it on the front door to welcome him home. Lukas finally got to hold Konrad and told me he was going to rock him...which ended up being pushing him back and forth every five seconds...very odd rocking, but that's Lukas' concept of it! Natalie likes to say hi to Konrad when he's on the floor and I can see I'm going to have to watch her. Konrad is just looking for the food supply. He also has his days and nights mixed up, so that's the first thing we're going to work on...I'm exhausted from being up with him the past two nights, but he's enjoyed sleeping A LOT during the days.

Again, thank you to everyone for your kind comments, messages and phone calls...and most of all for your prayers. We are very grateful for this wonderful gift from God.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Elainemaae said...

Congratulations to your family! What an exciting time for you. Another beautiful blessing has been bestowed upon you. My prayers will include good health & spirits for all of you and sleep for Cindy & Tom :)
Take care!

Elaine Ma'ae


Elaine, sorry I deleted your original post and edited it here to remove our last name...we don't use our last name to protect privacy. Thanks for understanding! Cindy :)