Monday, February 25, 2008

Not entirely useless!

Today during Natalie's therapy session I fed Konrad in the parking lot of Wal-Mart (without bleeding the car battery dry, thank you!) then Lukas, Konrad and I went in to return the bike that was too small. This was accomplished with Konrad in his car seat in the front of the shopping cart, the bike in the main area of the shopping cart, and Lukas walking.

As we entered Wal-Mart, Lukas announced that he had to go to the bathroom (a common occurrence, but he had just gone at Natalie's clinic). I told him we would have to return the bike before he could go, since we couldn't take it into the restroom.

While we were waiting, another mom of a young baby in line behind us said hi and oohed and aahed over Konrad. She thought he was four months old...when I said two, the first thing she said was "How did you do it?" I didn't know what she was talking about, so she said, "How did you lose all the weight?" I told her I still had a lot of weight to go and she nicely disagreed. She was a little more chatty with people around her, but I couldn't keep up the conversation much because I was trying to return a bike!

The manager punched some numbers in with no success...then Lukas reminded me that he had to go potty (good thing, since I forgot!) When we came back, the manager told me we had to take the bike back to the actual Wal-Mart we purchased it from (closer to our home), because the store we were in didn't have it in its inventory. I'd never heard of such a thing! So we shopped at that Wal-Mart with a bike in our cart, had a treat at the McDonald's and picked up Natalie.

As I was putting the bike back in the car, I realized that taking the bike back to the other Wal-Mart meant doing it with three kids, and I didn't think that would work well...but I quickly got sick of the smell of new bike in my car (not one of the scents the car wash offers to spray your car interior with!) so I decided to be brave and do it, even having forgotten Natalie's pacy (which she needs after a tiring therapy session). Natalie and Konrad on the stroller, Lukas pushing the bike into the store very nicely. No line! Return and out, like that!

I decided the trip to the first Wal-Mart was not entirely useless, since I got a compliment from a stranger on losing weight, and I need ego boosts like that. So I will reveal to you, my friends, family and strangers I've never met, I still have 15 pounds to go until I reach the weight I was before I became pregnant with Konrad, and another 15 pounds to reach my weight before I became pregnant with Natalie (which might still be 10 pounds over my ideal weight). So I'll take unbelievable (to me) comments from strangers about "looking good after pregnancy" and use them as incentive to keep "doing it"!

No more posts about my weight, I promise, until I reach one of the milestones above.

No comments: