Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Works for me--Keep lettuce fresh longer

It's been a while since I've joined the "Works For Me Wednesday" crowd, what with having a baby and all. But there's one product that has worked so well for me that it made me get back on the wagon. It's called the "Evert-Fresh Green Bag" and I think my mom first turned me on to them.

They are advertised to be used for many kinds of vegetables and fruit, but I just use them for lettuce. I love to buy the box of organic mixed lettuces at Costco, and if I don't use this bag, the lettuce goes bad within a couple of days. But by using this bag, I can keep the lettuce fresh and usable (and edible!) for at least a week.

I just take the lettuce out of the plastic box that it comes in, put it in one of these bags, press the air out, and put it in the refrigerator. Voila! We have great salads for at least a week for our family. That works for me, and I hope it works for you. To find more great ideas from other bloggers on the planet, go to Melanie's site, who is hosting it for Shannon this week. For more of my ideas, click here.

5 comments:

~Mary~ 4boys4me said...

Hmmmm, I'll have to give those bags a try! Congrats on the new baby. :)

Melissa Markham said...

That's a great tip! I like the spring mix, but it goes bad so quickly.

Monica said...

Wow. I'm going to get these for my sister as a gift. She has a great garden and often so much lettuce that it goes bad. These bags would take care of her problem. Thanks.

Heart of Wisdom said...

I use these even after I make my salad.

I make a large bowl of dry lettuce, pine nuts, carrots, etc I keep the dry mixture in the green bag and pour out what I need each day before adding feta cheese, chick peas, beans, tomatoes, etc.

The bag of salad mix last over a week. You may have given me my WFMW for next week. Thanks.

My WFMW is at http://heartofwisdom.com/heartathome

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

I have been reading all kinds of things about these bags lately. I just may have to get some!