Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Check up

Today was Lukas' 4-year check up. A couple days ago I started prepping him for it by saying, "Remember when you got your flu shot? That didn't hurt, did it?" (Lukas had said at the time that the shot didn't hurt, after he screamed and Tom had to restrain him to get the shot in). Lukas said, "No, it didn't hurt." But then he's wondering why I've mentioned it and says, "When am I getting a flu shot again?"

Ok, so he saw through me! I told him he would get another shot in a few days. He said, "I don't want a shot!" We talked about it a lot and I realized what he doesn't like is being restrained for a shot (he was with me when Konrad got four shots last month, and of course you have to restrain babies and small children). So we talked about it, and I said if he didn't struggle, no one would have to restrain him. He worked that through his mind and said he would still struggle. So I played the ultimate trump card: I said if he didn't struggle, we'd go for Krispy Kreme donuts afterwards. But if he struggled, no donuts. He thought about that for about one minute and decided that he wouldn't struggle for the shot.

Irene came over this morning and watched Natalie and Konrad for me (thank you!) I am SO glad she did, because it ended up being a longer visit than I expected. Lukas loved getting to wear a paper gown and answer some of the questions the doctor asked him. So for the stats, Lukas is 44 pounds and 43 inches tall (92% and 95% for his age).

I talked to his doctor about his peanut allergy and when we might try testing him on peanuts...we discussed it for several minutes and she suggested doing another blood test to see if his levels of allergy are the same or have decreased. Lukas started crying and asked, "Do I have to eat peanuts?" He has had it so ingrained in him that "he gets sick when he eats peanuts" that he doesn't want to eat them. I reassured him that he didn't have to eat peanuts. Ok, whew, that's over. Now for the good news...

The doctor said he needed FOUR shots between now and five years of age. I had prepared Lukas for one or two, so I asked Lukas if we could have two shots today. He said, "No, I want one shot." I told him we'd get two treats for two shots and he finally agreed. He did great! He cried a very little in anticipation, but didn't scream and definitely didn't struggle. The nurse gave him two "sticky men" that crawl down the wall as treats for handling it so well.

Which was good, because now we had to go to a different floor for the blood test, and I was sure that was not going to fly with Lukas. The last time he had a blood test was when he was two and much smaller: I had to hold him down for them to get the stick. This time, he immediately said he didn't want the blood test, which he repeated several times on the way to the lab and in the lab waiting room. The "sticky men" were the perfect distraction as we waited.

He cried and said he didn't want it, but with him in my lap and me holding him, and two phlebotomists working on him, we got it done without too much of a scene.

After that, Krispy Kreme for a chocolate donut (which became his lunch, since he wasn't hungry when we got home...ok, his diet can be poor for one or two days out of the year...it's for a good cause!) and home. Once again, I am SO thankful that Irene watched both kids for me (I had thought about taking Konrad with me, but he was napping during her visit, so it worked out great).

I'm so proud of how Lukas handed getting his shots...he's growing up! We still have to get two more shots this year, but they can wait a while, and I'll make sure and talk up how the shots didn't hurt (the blood test did) between now and then.

No comments: