Friday, March 7, 2008

Lost in translation

Tonight I ran to the store for a quick errand. A woman in the store was speaking Spanish to her husband and 2-year old daughter and I quickly glanced at her t-shirt. She had a picture of antlers on the front and it said "Nice Rack" above the antlers.

I am 100% certain she didn't know what her shirt was telling the world (she didn't look the type at all to be boasting about something like that). I don't speak Spanish, so I couldn't tell her what her shirt was saying, but I can imagine trying to tell her with sign language (not that they would be the "correct" signs, but I think I could get the point across!)

But even if I could tell her in a spoken language, I wouldn't! She was a stranger! Would you have done anything different?

Just remember this story the next time you're tempted to buy a t-shirt with a language you don't speak fluently...I'm going to!

No comments: