Monday, March 10, 2008

William Willett's legacy

Raise your hand if you've ever heard of William Willett. I sure hadn't until five minutes ago when I asked "who invented daylight savings time?"

Unfortunately, Willett's bio on wikepedia doesn't say whether he had children. I'm inclined to think he didn't. Otherwise, his wife would have told him how ridiculous it is to change children's schedules twice a year, and perhaps someone else, also childless, would have gone down in history as the inventor of modern daylight savings time.

I will say this for Willett: his original idea was that the clocks should be advanced by 20 minutes at a time at 2 am on successive Sundays in April and be retarded by the same amount on Sundays in September. This would work better for my children's schedules, but I'm sure it would wreak havoc with the rest of the industrialized world.

So that's what kind of day I've had! Daylight savings time with one child is easy; with three children, it's hard.

Today Lukas said, "I liked it when we changed the clocks yesterday." Me: "Why did you like it, Lukas?" Lukas: "Because it was fun!"

NOT!