Monday, May 5, 2008

Funny Prayer

I (Tom) read books to the kids before bed every night. We have quite a selection of books, so some books get read often and then retire for a couple of months. To be honest, I don't always have the best memory for titles, even if I have read a book fifty times.

Tonight I read three board books, Owl Babies, Barnyard Dance and Guess How Much I Love You (a story about a baby hare telling its parent how much she/he loves him/her). Except for Barnyard Dance, Lukas has heard these stories a hundred times (only a slight exaggeration).

After the books, I read a newspaper story about naturalists studying owls, and then had Lukas work on his catechism. Then we prayed. Near the end, I prayed that Lukas would continue to learn to read so that someday soon he would be reading Owl Babies and "Good Night Hare...or whatever." I continued to pray without a thought that to a four-year-old what I just said was funny. He started giggling and as I wrapped up our prayer was shaking with laughter. I asked him what was so funny (I'll admit I was a bit perturbed). His whole body was now shaking and he could not get two words out of his mouth. I asked him to calm down and tell me what was so funny. Then I heard him say "whatever". Aaaah, I messed up the title of Guess How Much I Love You by mixing it up with another book. That mistake was good for another five minutes of laughter for Lukas. I also anticipate that he will retell the "joke" tomorrow morning. He doesn't forget titles. Even when they are incorrect.

No comments: