Monday, May 5, 2008

Natalie's first ice cream cone and funny stuff Lukas says

This weekend, Natalie had her first ice cream cone...that she held herself! Of course, we haven't deprived her of ice cream...it's one of her favorite vices, and the one thing most likely to elicit real words from her mouth when we ask for them. But we have always fed her the ice cream.

Actually, this was probably the first time I've ever served ice cream cones at home...we always eat it out of a bowl. But on this day, Lukas was commenting that "Mommy buys food and clothes, and Daddy buys pipes and co-uns."

Me: What are "co-uns"?
Lukas: Co-uns. Daddy bought co-uns at Home Depot.
Me: Do you mean "coins"?
Lukas: No, co-uns. For the play area at church.
Me: Oh, cones! Daddy bought orange cones for the play area. Cones, not co-uns. Daddy buys orange cones, but Mommy buys ice cream cones.
Lukas: But we don't have ice cream co-uns!
Me: Yes, we do!

Well, you know what happened next. So I served up the cones after lunch and Lukas took them out to the table: the first one for Natalie, the next one for Daddy...

Then Tom said, "I can't hold Konrad in my lap, and hold Natalie's cone and my cone." I asked him to give the cone to Natalie, and he was doubtful that she would handle it, but she did! Hey, it's ice cream, so although she dripped a little on herself, overall she was quite neat to avoid wasting the precious commodity. She also enjoyed eating the cone.

I mean, the co-un.

1 comment:

Shoeaddict said...

I'm new here and had to say, these are adorable pictures!