Saturday, May 31, 2008

What was I thinking!?!

...not to be confused with "what are they thinking!?!"

Here's a picture of the result of my latest impulse buy.

But I justified this impulse buy for a few good reasons:
  1. They were only $.88 each at Wal-Mart, so if/when I am completely driven out of my mind by them, I can throw them away without concern.
  2. Natalie needs this type of toy to practice blowing air through her mouth to help with speech.
  3. Lukas will, of course, be a musician, and it's important to expose him to all types of instruments.
  4. This is a toy that I could actually teach Lukas to play a song on (as opposed to his guitar, which I don't know how to tune and I don't play) until we get a piano (I just need to look up online how to play a recorder).
  5. Natalie needs this type of toy to practice blowing air through her mouth to help with speech. Oops, I already mentioned that, didn't I?
But the biggest reason I decided to purchase this instrument after Lukas saw it on the shelf and asked for it is: Lukas is finally understanding that loudly blowing a recorder/whistle/harmonica/any other loud thing all day long is not likely to make Mommy happy. And he's finally caring about whether other people are happy! That is a wonderful thing!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Natalie looks like she has the recorder down!! I am sure it was "beautiful" music!!
Kelly

Michelle said...

Austin's speech therapist bought him a recorder 3 or so years ago for the same reasons...scared Austin half to death! He screamed sooo loud! He did not like the high pitches at all!