Saturday, June 28, 2008

Konrad's first solid meal

You may remember that I had been having some problems with getting Konrad to eat solid food. Basically, I haven't tried again in several weeks.

Today, I tried again. This time, I pulled out the dreaded pump, then mixed breastmilk with baby oatmeal, and Konrad ate it right up. He was very happy, and wanted even more when he finished the tablespoon or so I prepared for him.

That was at 2 p.m.

For dinner, I thought, "Hey, I'll mix up some more cereal for him and give him a few bites while we're eating our dinner." I thought that the difference this afternoon was one of two things:
  1. He just wasn't ready to eat solids before, and now he is; or
  2. I hadn't served it warm enough before (this time, I pumped, then immediately mixed my milk with the cereal...before, I was using cold cow's milk or lukewarm water)
Unfortunately, after having him spit with great disgust the cereal back at me at dinner, I have now determined that the difference this afternoon is a third reason that I had suspected but hoped was not involved:

3. Konrad prefers his cereal with breastmilk, NOT cow's milk.

I know, I know, you're SUPPOSED to mix whatever the baby is used to drinking (breastmilk or formula) with the baby cereal...but I didn't feel that I had time to add pumping into my routine (since we're pulling out the equipment for a tiny amount of milk for the cereal...he's still getting 99% of his calories from nursing).

But, apparently, I do have enough time to pump. Someone else is telling me that I do!

1 comment:

Anxious AF said...

I will be pumping right along with you:)