Monday, July 27, 2009

Aircraft Carrier Tour

Lukas and I snuck in a visit to the USS Midway while we were in San Diego this last weekend. While the little kids napped after their first Sea World foray, we had 90 minutes of adventure touring an aircraft carrier.

I recently showed him portions of a movie that my Dad loved, and actualy lived: The Bridges of Toko-ri. My Dad is a Korean War vet and Navy pilot. His squadron, VF-31, flew off the USS Leyte. So Lukas was thrilled to see the carrier deck and posed in front of an F-9-F like his grandpa flew. Lukas practiced launching himself by running down the deck with his arms out. There were lifesize cutouts of the deck crew in their colored outfits (Lukas wants to be the yellow jacketed flight deck officer). He wanted me to take a picture with each one, but I drew the line.

Lukas also loved the audio tour player and plugged in any two digit number he saw, including serial numbers on bulkheads, numbers on equipment, tail numbers on airplanes, etc.

I am already looking forward to going back to the Midway the next time we are in San Diego.

3 comments:

Brandi said...

I love how active you are with your children. They are going to be such well rounded young adults!

Michelle said...

You are such a good dad!

Cindy said...

Here here! I wholeheartedly agree, Michelle!