Wednesday, December 30, 2009

More new things

Yesterday I ran some errands with Natalie and Konrad while Tom and Lukas worked on Tom's new landscaping creation (more on that later...there's still a lot of work to be done!)  One of our stops was Babies R Us to look at car seats since Konrad seems to be very uncomfortable in his car seat.  I've tried putting new foam in the bottom but that doesn't help.  Even though he's within the size and weight for the seat, it has been around since Lukas' time, so it may just be too worn out to be comfortable any more with how big he is now.

Anyway, I left wanting to do more research on car seats first, but I did buy new cups for Natalie and Konrad.  You remember why we always buy different colored sippy cups?  Natalie and Konrad each needed a new cup because one of theirs was damaged (remember that new dishwasher? we've learned the hard way how to keep sippy cup lids from falling off the top shelf and getting melted on the bottom.)

But all the sippy cup colors that were available were ones we already had (and weren't melted), so I looked at the new Playtex straw cup.  This one actually has a valve so the drink doesn't leak out when it's tipped over.  The valve is more complicated than the Playtex Sipster cups we currently use, but in the interests of new and different colors, I decided to get a new and different product.

This morning I debuted a new cup with Natalie's milk.  She was not interested.  She kept on saying, "I want milk, please!"  I gave her the cup and even opened it up to show her the milk inside, but she was not interested.  At home we haven't worked on straws in a long time, but I know they give her juice boxes at school with straws, so I didn't think it would be a big deal.  Maybe because it was early in the morning, she needed something comfortable and similar to what she's known.

So I took the lid off, and she was happy to drink from the open straw cup.  Then I poured the milk into a regular plastic open cup and she was happy to drink from that...she just doesn't want the straw.  But I don't want to leave an open cup around for Natalie to knock over, so after breakfast I poured her milk back into her straw cup and left it out for her.

Then Konrad brought her cup to me, excited to be drinking from a straw cup!  No! That's Natalie's cup and it has Miralax in it!  Konrad does not need help pooping, so he doesn't need Natalie's morning medicine at all.  So I pulled out one of Konrad's new straw cups and poured the milk from his sippy cup into it.  He drank it up, and asked for more.


I tried to use it as an example for Natalie that Konrad likes his new cup, but she was. not. interested. in. the. new. cup.  Then I tried to get her to feed it to Jesse.  Usually she'll put the sippy cup up to her doll's mouth, but with this cup she just put in on the table and said, "There it is, Jesse."  It's sort of funny how non-plussed she is about the new cup.

But I have a solution!  I will use the tops from the old sippy cups on Natalie's cup bottoms and the tops from the new straw cups for Konrad.  The colors won't match completely, but it will work...and we'll start giving Natalie more drinks from an open cup at the table.  She doesn't drink enough during meals to hydrate herself, which is why she always has a cup available (in the car, watching TV, etc), but since she's interested in open cups, I'll try it!

1 comment:

Angelica mom to JesusRTS said...

I just wanted to let you know that i love reading your blog i havnt had time to comment on your blogs because i have been in vacation with my family. Thank you for sharing with us! =)