Thursday, March 11, 2010

More changes

Tom and I have gone back and forth on when to move Natalie's bed into the boys' room, so her room can turn back into a nursery for the new baby.  Tom wanted to do it awhile back, and I would be happy with doing it the day before I deliver the baby (if that day could be predicted!)  We talked about it this week and he convinced me we should do it sooner rather than later...after all, we had left arranging the nursery until the end of my pregnancy with Lukas, and then I ended up with two weeks of bedrest before my water broke at 38 weeks...with the nursery NO WHERE NEAR arranged properly to bring a baby home.  Think about all the baby presents first-time parents receive, strewn all over the room.

Anyway, these fourth-time parents have contained the new baby mess to just the inside of the crib that is still in Natalie's room the nursery.  The crib makes a great place to toss things the baby needs (boppy, bassinette, newborn boy clothes passed down by a dear friend, blankie)!  Until it's time to put a baby in there!  Anyway, the reason I wanted to push the transition to a later time is solely because Natalie needs a place for quiet time after she comes home from school (Konrad is sleeping in his bed when she comes home).  And I want her to keep the habit of quiet time because I currently need naps in the afternoon and I know I'll need even more sleep once the baby arrives.  Lukas will sit quietly and read or play, Konrad will sleep for 2 hours, but Natalie will not sit quietly and do anything unless she is contained in her room.

Once we decided to make the switch, I suggested we do it last night so the kids would have a couple of nights together before a babysitter comes on Sunday.  Konrad kept saying, "That's my bed" while pointing to his bed...I think he thought we were going to move his bed someplace!  The first night went pretty well:  Konrad and Natalie both got out of bed (at the same time) twice, but then they were down for the whole night. 

This morning Natalie kept saying, "I different room!" over and over.  We could tell that she's happy with the new arrangement, just as she was happy to have her own room last year after Christmas.  She continues to amaze us at how well she transitions to new things...maybe because her life is always full of changes?

And she did well having quiet time in the nursery today, without her bed.  She still has dolls and books in there to keep her occupied.  When the baby comes, I might have to come up with a place to put the baby so she can continue to have a short quiet time there.

I know she'll love having her own room back once the baby is ready to share a room with his brothers!  But we might actually put a coat of paint on the room and change the decor to something more girly and less baby for that switch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aww a slumber party for the kids.. I loved sharing rooms when I was a kid. Hope you are feeling ok.. Not too much longer now.