Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Happy Ones Say the Darnedest Things

Art Linkletter died last week. He had a show called House Party years ago, and one of the features was a segment where he interviewed kids (Sample). Not exactly in the same vein, but Konrad and Lukas made a couple of cute statements recently.

At breakfast last week Konrad said, "I want chicks". There were three cereals on the table and I assumed he wanted one of the two he normally eats. Trix or Cheerios. Cheerios + Trix = Chicks? I held both of them up and asked him which one he wanted. He responded,"No!" OK, so that was not it. He kept repeating over and over, "I want chicks". The quick and repeating thing is a new, and hopefully short lived, trait of his. Well, I surveyed the table and tried to take control of the situation. Inside I was repeating, "what does he want, what does he want...!" "I want chicks, I want chicks...." Aaah ha! There was the third cereal on the table. Daddy's cereal. Chex. Problem solved.

We've talked about Konrad's odd way of saying pajamas. Since that post in November, his word for pajamas has become "ja-min-ez". Natalie has said the word pajamas properly for at least six months, but now she's saying "ja-min-ez" for pajamas too! At least when she discusses pajama couture with Konrad!

Lukas and I joined his school friends for a night of baseball at Angel Stadium last Friday. We had a great time, but just after the seventh inning stretch, Lukas asked if we could go home. It was late so I agreed and we started our way down from nearly the top of the stadium. On the way down I took a detour to walk behind the field level seats and see the players up close. I tried to get Lukas' attention by pointing out the players, but he only had getting in bed on his mind, and said, "Dad, would you please focus." Yeah, where has he heard that?

Dominik is still just grunting. We're keeping the tapes rolling for when he says something "darnedest"!

No comments: