Tuesday, July 13, 2010

She's copying

Natalie is a copycat.  She is always copying what we say, and I dread the day she hears a foul word (I hope she hasn't already heard one!) because I know she'll send it right back, having no clue what it means.  Not only does she copy things she hears, but she also has a great memory.

Case in point:  I've gotten out of the habit of showing Baby Einstein videos.  With 26 Signing Time DVDs, several Veggie Tales, and a slew of Pixar movies to rotate, it's easy to forget Baby Einstein.  But now we have a baby again!  So when Dominik is awake and I want to show a DVD (which doesn't happen often), I try to put in Baby Einstein Language Nursery.  Before Dominik was born, Natalie might have heard this DVD 12-18 months ago.  Since he's been born, she's heard it twice.  More information that's relevant:  we are not counting in German very often.

So imagine my surprise when I saw her absentmindedly rolling a car back and forth and heard her counting in German!  Unless they're teaching this in preschool (not!) the only place she's heard it recently is on the Baby Einstein video.

She knows 1-12, then skips to 18, 19, 20:




It's getting harder to know what to work on with her.  Some weeks she doesn't speak intelligibly very much at all, and the next week she's spouting sentences and counting in German.  She speaks, but she doesn't communicate everything that's going on in her head, and she still gets very frustrated when we don't understand what she wants (she often shuts down talking because she gets so frustrated).  I look forward to meeting her new speech therapist next year (sadly, Miss Becky retired at the end of this year) and coming up with a plan of what to work on.

No comments: