Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Predictable

The other evening during devotion after dinner, Tom and I noticed that Natalie was more animated and lucid than she'd been all day, during and after singing songs.  We're still really struggling with a decision on her seizure medication, which seems to have caused her to be dizzy and distracted...and recently hasn't been controlling the seizures as it did at the beginning.  Since she's not improving in her behavior, we're getting ready to try another medicine.

Anyway, I thought that if music helps Natalie at the end of the day, let's try including it in the morning as well to start the day out right!  So I ask each child to pick a hymn that we all sing, and then I choose a Christmas hymn to sing.  This morning after catechism we made it through two hymns before it was time for her to use the bathroom and get on the bus at 7:10.

Natalie will predictably pick "This is My Father's World" and Konrad will predictably pick "And Can it Be That I Should Gain" and Lukas will predictably throw out a number (he doesn't know what song it is, and we only sing it if I know the melody).

Here's some video that I captured last week when I stepped away from morning Bible time to put Dominik in the crib.  I heard Natalie say, "I am the teacher!" as she led her brothers in the catechism.  Please excuse Konrad's display...he was only two when this was taken.  ;)

No comments: