Tuesday, August 30, 2011

First Day of Homeschool

We had today on our calendar as the first day of homeschool for Lukas and Konrad (2nd grade and pre-K)...and then Natalie's EUA and possible surgery were scheduled for yesterday.  I had been planning to NOT do school if Natalie did end up having surgery...but, hey, why not change?  Natalie was doing so great today (I had expected to have to drop everything and hold her all day) that Lukas and I started the first day of school today during naptime for the three younger kids.

Yes, my 5.5-year-old, 3.5-year-old AND 15-month-old all take naps at 1 p.m., usually until about 3 p.m.  I can't explain it, except to say that I am VERY thankful!  Ok, consistency helps.  Anyway, Natalie needs more sleep (she has slight sleep apnea) and lack of sleep can make seizures more frequent...and one of the glaucoma eye drops she uses makes her drowsy.  I am expecting Konrad to drop his afternoon nap sometime this year, but I am definitely encouraging it as long as possible!  And Dominik is still napping in the morning and the afternoon...I'm definitely encouraging that morning nap to help with homeschool!

But back to the first day of school.  Konrad will start tomorrow (since today's classtime coincided with his naptime), but Lukas had a great first day.  We've kept some things the same and changed a few things:  math, language arts, grammar and science curriculum are the same publishers as last year.  Reading and spelling are different, so we took some time to become familiar with the new routine for those. And I've added one-day-a-week classes in manners and logic.  History is also new, but Tom's still teaching that to Lukas at night, so that's more his responsibility.

We had a great day two hours!  Lukas agreed it was a good day, so it must have been!

No comments: