Saturday, January 12, 2013

Changes in the new year

A new year, new things, right?

My new thing for the new year is I cut the boys hair.

I'd been thinking about making the leap for a few months, and everything finally came together.  Tom took Lukas, Konrad and Jordana to Joshua Tree, leaving Natalie, Dominik and me at home.  Dominik hadn't had his hair cut in several months, so I told him he was getting his hair cut.  He thought I meant going to the regular barber that Tom and the boys have always gone to...but instead we went to Costco and picked up a hairclipper kit.

Dominik was so excited about getting his hair cut!  His big concern was that he get a lollipop after the haircut, just like he does at the barber.  Ok, I can do that!

I didn't take a "before" picture, but here's the after.


The next day, Lukas and Konrad were excited about me cutting their hair too!  Lukas took these pictures of me cutting Konrad's hair.



And Tom took these pictures of me cutting Lukas' hair.


As with Dominik, the lollipop is an important part of the hair cutting ritual.  Who new!

At Konrad's first day back to music class, I heard him announce to his music teacher (and who knows how many other teachers that day?) that "my mom cuts my hair!"  My boys' positive reactions are more than I hoped for!  I have a vivid recollection of butchering my younger brother's hair when I was about 17 and he was 14 (he asked me to cut his hair...it's not all that hard, right?  wrong!)  I haven't cut anyone's hair since. 

But hey, it's not rocket science, is it?

1 comment:

Patty said...

Great job! The boys all look great. The nice thing about cutting hair on little boys is that if you mess up, you can always just take the clippers and give them a good buzz cut. ;-)