Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Disabilities

That's not a word we really use much in our home.  It's a big part of our life, but it's normal now, so we don't have endless discussions about it, sort of like we don't talk a lot about what brand of laundry detergent we use.  Everyone knows we use something!

This afternoon I was getting ready to go to a GEMS meeting (sort of like Girl Scouts) at our church tonight.  They are doing a badge on "disabilities" and asked me to talk about disabilities.  I am so excited to go, because I think a lot of the kids haven't had much experience with people with disabilities.  So while I was getting ready, Lukas came to talk to me, and I asked him what he thought I should tell the girls tonight about disabilities.

"Just because someone can't do everything that you can do, that doesn't make you better than them.  And we should help someone with disabilities become what they want to be in life."

And there you have it.

1 comment:

Patty said...

I'm pretty sure I love your son. That is the perfect explanation.