Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Pesto Presto!

Here's a picture of the best present Tom ever got me (no, not the child! Of course the kids are the best presents...I'm talking about other than kids).

Where is it? It's that humongous basil plant next to Konrad.

I've tried to grow basil many times, but every basil plant I've planted gets eaten by something small and grubby, or dies some other sort of unnatural death. I end up buying fresh basil in little boxes in the store for single use...and I don't use as much basil as I would like, because I always have to remember to buy it first. I have an herb garden with rosemary, thyme and chives that I use A LOT, and now I have a reliable basil plant.

The basil plant was only about 6 inches high when Tom planted it, in a location not near the other herbs, and now it is nearly 40 inches high...and this picture was taken after we hacked some off the sides because it was blocking a sprinkler.

With the hacked off pieces, I made pesto for the first time...YUM! I could eat everything with pesto on it. The basil has also been highlighted in my Insalata Caprese dish, but now it can take center stage in pesto.

In addition to the basil plant, Tom also bought the tarragon plant you see growing at the base of the basil plant. I've used tarragon once or twice with chicken, but keep forgetting to look for recipes with it.

Yes, Konrad is sampling his first basil leaf. No, he didn't like it. Yet.

No comments: