Tuesday, February 27, 2007

That tires me out!

Tonight Lukas and I were cuddling after dinner and I started singing Edelweiss to him. This song from The Sound of Music was his most frequent lullaby when he was a baby. Somehow it got him to stop screaming, and some days I seemed to sing it 20 times in one day! But today when I started singing it to him--for old time's sake, not to stop him from screaming--he said, "No, no, that tires me out!" I tried to get him to explain what that means--did he mean it makes him sleepy? He said, "No, it just tires me out." The best I could infer is that it calms him, and he still wanted to be active for the evening.

Sometimes I sing Edelweiss to Natalie to calm her down, and Lukas joins in, but Natalie's most favorite lullaby is Amazing Grace. I must have started singing it to her early on, to cheer myself up, and now it is the one song that calms her the quickest and makes her smile again.

Good thing, because I was getting sick of singing Edelweiss. I heartily approve of coming up with a new lullaby for each baby.

No comments: