Saturday, April 21, 2007

Do we really need it?

Tom and I have always been pretty quick to donate something to the Salvation Army when we don't use it anymore...an old vacuum, old clothes, old stroller, etc. But when he made a comment last year about donating some other stuff, I finally convinced him that we should have a garage sale. Yesterday we were planning to go to the San Diego Wild Animal Park, but it rained, so we spent Tom's Friday off at home, sorting through each room and closet for items we could sell in a garage sale next month. Of course, more items surfaced that will be immediately donated!

Of course we couldn't finish it in one day, so we worked on it some more today, between going to Connor's first birthday party and going to see Chris, Sandy, Kevin and Nathan for dinner. It's amazing how much more stuff I will get rid of, if I think I might sell it...even if it's for a few dollars. But I still see worth in it, so I don't want to donate it. Anyway, it's helping me get rid of much more stuff than just what I would donate. Of course, whatever doesn't sell, we then have to decide if we keep or donate...and at that point I think we'll probably just donate, because once it's out of the house, I've already relinquished ownership.

Since Tom and I got married in our 30s, we both had collected a lot of stuff. We haven't really gone through our stuff since we made one of the bedrooms into a nursery for kids over three years ago. It's amazing what you forgot you had when you don't see it for a couple years. Hey, that's a candidate for a garage sale!

No comments: