Sunday, July 29, 2007

There's no fooling him!

Have I mentioned that Lukas doesn't like potatoes? Not mashed or baked or fried, not with raclette on top...believe me, I've tried a lot of different things to get him to eat potatoes. He does like french fries, but lately he hasn't even been overly excited about those.

Today after church, the fellowship meal was a potato bar and salad bar. There were great toppings like chili, stroganoff, broccoli and cheese for the baked potatoes in addition to the normal butter, sour cream, onions and bacon. I got a plate for Lukas of half a potato, chili and cheese. As I sat down, and he asked, "What is is, Mom?" I remembered his dislike of potatoes (I forget because I love them so much!)

Ok, I'd previously called them "pommes de terre" (French for potatoes), and he knows he doesn't like that, so I had to come up with a new name. I said, "It's a root vegetable with chili on it. Try it, you'll love it!" He said, "What kind of root vegetable?" I just kept saying, "It's a root vegetable." He tried a few bites, then he asked if it was potatoes. I stuck with my story. He ended up not eating it, but liking stroganoff by itself.

Tonight at dinner, he said, "That root vegetable at Lunch Bunch tasted like potatoes." Tom and I couldn't stop laughing. I can't even fool a three-year old! I guess he really doesn't like potatoes.

No comments: