Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Make spring mix salad last longer

Don't you love to buy the 1 pound box of spring mix salad at Costco or Sam's Club? It makes great salads for our family for almost a week. Don't you hate when it goes bad after a few days? Have you ever noticed that there is one type of lettuce in the spring mix that goes bad first (fast), while the rest of the lettuce is still edible?

I remember my mom mentioning that the purple lettuce is the one that doesn't stay fresh as long. She lamented that "they" put it in the spring mix, sure it was a conspiracy to make the spring mix not last as long, so we'd have to buy it more frequently. The green lettuce may still be edible, but you can't convince me that green lettuce with black slime is still edible.

The other day, I had a Eureka moment...why not take the purple lettuce out? So I did it. I sorted out the purple lettuce from the green lettuce and put the purple lettuce on the top of my bag of lettuce. Our salads for the first two days were the purple lettuce, and by the third day, we were down to the rest of the lettuce mix that is green (and lasts longer).

No black slime on green lettuce! To see more Eureka moments from bloggers across the planet, visit We Are THAT Family.

10 comments:

6intow said...

Great idea! I had given up on the Spring Mix and gone back to Romaine hearts that seem to last a bit longer. I might have to revisit the mixes.

Thanks for the tip!
~Erin

Holly said...

Genius! I never noticed that it was the purple stuff!

RLR said...

I've switched to the Romaine as well, for the same reason! But I do LOVE the Spring Mix - what a great tip!

Ana said...

Yeah that purple lettuce is culprit! Great idea! will have to try!

Annikke said...

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing!

MediMonsters said...

Great tip!! TFS

Tom said...

I mentioned this idea to a friend and they commented about the time it would take to sort. They thought more about it and then commented that they end up picking the rotten stuff out anyways, so why not do it at the beginning.

Coco said...

It really is a great idea!! Thank you for sharing!

Cara said...

That is a great tip to know! Thanks for sharing.

Cara

alpinekleins said...

Hello! Followed everyone on over from the WFMW:) You have a lovely place here and so much fun to visit. I love the idea about the salad, it's my favorite thing to purchase, makes tons of salads, so this is a great idea to keep it going. Thanks for sharing!

Kristin K