Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Which holiday?



I didn't cook a turkey on Thanksgiving, but I bought two on sale before Thanksgiving to keep in our freezer.  Well, the freezer is getting full so it was time to pull a turkey out.  But turkeys take several days to thaw, and it's hard to plan in advance that the day I want to bake the turkey is a day that works well for the rest of our schedule for making a turkey dinner with all the trimmings.

I had planned to bake it yesterday, but Tom was going to an event after work, so that wasn't a good idea.  And we decided a few days ago that we'd go look at Christmas lights tonight, which means we want to drive to the neighborhood with the lights, eat fast-food there, and walk around (not eat dinner at home). Baking the turkey tomorrow evening might be too late, since the turkey is now thawed.

This is a long way to say:  I baked the turkey this morning because I just intended to save the meat for several meals in the future.  It was in the oven by 8:00 a.m....and then about 10:30 when it was done, I realized we could go ahead and have it for lunch today.

But freshly baked turkey isn't really turkey without cranberry sauce, so I made that and mashed potatoes too.  And pan gravy.  And broccoli (because there had to be something green for Konrad).

No, it's not Thanksgiving...it's three days before Christmas (see, you can tell it's Christmas by the gingerbread house on the table).  I did not make pumpkin pie, in case you were wondering.

Tomorrow, it's time to start baking for Christmas dinner...but at least tomorrow's lunch is already almost made!

And yes, we stayed at home again today!

No comments: