Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A mother's ego

Remember when...?

Remember when potty training took months and months?

What a difference a different child makes!  Konrad was potty trained after only a week (for the record, at age 2 years, 8 months).  Of course, he still has accidents a couple times a week, but he is going to the toilet himself and even climbing up on the big toilet by himself.  He always announces his success, and once in a while asks for a "yummy-pop".  And he's been dry overnight and after naps for several weeks now.  We still put him in a Pull-up over night (but not during naps), which should have already stopped, but we just can't believe that he's already potty trained!

I could say, "look at me, I'm a spectacular mother that I potty trained my child so quickly!"

But I can't take the credit.  Each child is different, has different aptitudes and abilities at different times.  So they're going to potty train differently.

For the sake of our budget (and my sanity!), I'm soooo glad that Konrad has potty trained quickly.  Now we just have two kids in diapers.

Natalie is next.  I am determined.  But I don't have the time...homeschooling, breastfeeding, potty-training...something has to give, and it's been potty-training Natalie.

I need a day (a week would be good!) with no other responsibilities so I could spend every moment with Natalie and celebrate as she uses the potty for the first time in a year and a half...and hopefully uses it again and again.  I don't have delusions that she will be potty trained easily and use it without reminders, but I do want to work with her on it toward a goal.

I know it will be a long journey, and I'm ready to take the first step.  I'm ready to leave my ego at the door and change her clothes 10 times in a day.  I just don't know how to do it and do everything else I need to do!

Sometime soon...but not right now.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Way to go mom and Konrad! Your an amazing mom, so pat yourself on the back! I would if I lived closer.. Wishing you the same success with the other two! Hugs

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way Cindy. It is going to be a long road potty training Noah but school is working so much on potty training which is helping.. Does Natalie's school work with her??

Cindy said...

Her teachers did put her on the toilet every day: she sits and doesn't eliminate, then joyfully washes her hands (just like at home). Maybe with the new class time and new teachers she'll have more success!

Angelica mom to JesusRTS said...

way to go Konrad! your a fantastic mom!