Thursday, September 2, 2010

Natalie's wardrobe

For those who aren't aware, people with RTS are shorter than their siblings.  Natalie is shorter than the average 4-year-old, but probably taller than she would be if she didn't have tall parents (her 2.5 year old brother hasn't passed her yet, which I expected to happen a long time ago!)  Anyway, aquiring clothing for people who aren't typical sizes is always a challenge.  Here's how I'm doing it (this year).

This is Natalie in size 5 shorts.  On her, they look like capris!


Here's Natalie in size 5 capris...on her, they look like long pants.  BTW, that is the famous Baby Elise that she's holding (a Christmas gift from her physical therapist last year).  Natalie couldn't wait to tell Baby Elise that Jessie had come home.

But both of those bottoms have zippers and snaps...not the best option when you're gearing up for potty training.  Last week I was madly looking for elastic-waist capris, but couldn't find any.  The next best thing is leggings at Target...they're a little long, but since they cling to the leg, they shouldn't come past her shoe and cause her to trip.  They'll just be a little bunched up at the bottom.  I also bought size 5 pants that will have to be cut off to be the right length for her.  And a skirt with an elastic waist, but it's going to be cooler soon (and she still falls some) so I'm really looking for pants.  So I now have about 8 pairs of bottoms that have elastic waist...ready for potty training if I happen to have a day when someone else is taking care of the other kids (Tom tells me this might happen on Monday).

Now, if she were a boy, I would be doing a whole lot more cutting and sewing, since boys don't wear capris!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

you took the words right out of my mouth! Austin is extremely difficult to dress! His waist is a size 5/6 but the 5's are too small and the 6's are too big! I'm always looking for elastic waist pants/shorts as well. They fit him sooo much better.