Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Adenoids

Natalie finally had the follow up visit with the ENT today to discuss the x-rays of her adenoids. I guess I didn't post about the actual x-ray event because, as the link above reports, I was in a whirlpool of Groundhog Day where I was constantly going back to the children's hospital for x-rays. When she finally had the x-rays, it was just like the last time.

I love this doctor, because he's a good doctor, but also because he is always prompt with his visits. Today was the first time we had to wait for this doctor. Lukas was barely entertained by the book I had in my purse, Konrad wanted to be held, and Natalie has to say hi to everyone in the waiting room. I've learned to just let her go...if I try to hold her back, she will squirm until she gets to say hi to people, and I'm sure people wonder why I'm torturing her by holding her back. So I just watch as she moves around saying "hi!" and waving and clapping people's hands.

Usually people are friendly. Today a lady in the waiting room started to read a book with her. Natalie read for a few minutes, then walked away. The lady said, "Well, I did hear her say 'hippopotamus'."

There you have it. Natalie is now saying five-syllable words. I tried really hard not to smirk when the lady said that. It is not entirely impossible that Natalie said 'hippopotamus', but I would not bet money on it.

Anyway, it was finally our turn to go to an exam room, and then we had to wait some more! This never happens with this doctor! Of course the kids were really bouncing off the wall, and then someone pooped in her diaper. It was a small room, so the smell was concentrated. I kept thinking the doctor would come, we would have our five-minute chat, and I would leave and change her in the restroom. But he didn't come and he didn't come, so I strapped Konrad in the stroller and changed Natalie, and finished just in time for the doctor to arrive. He said, "I have kids, I know that smell." After a while of smelling it, you don't notice it...but the nurse who came in after the visit noticed it!

And now for the substance of the visit: Natalie has enlarged adenoids. Her sleeping is not terrible, and her breathing is not terrible, but if her adenoids stay the same or get worse, they need to be removed. The ENT said they could get better, but I consider this unlikely since so many other RTS kids have their adenoids removed.

So I'll call his nurse tomorrow to schedule something in January or February. If she gets dramatically better, we can push the date forward or drop it: he's leaving it up to us. But I really want her to breathe the best she can, and get the best quality sleep she can. I soooo feel it's important to kids' growth and development to get solid sleep, and she needs all the help she can get in the growth and development department. We'll try to coordinate this surgery with the ophthalmologist so he can check the pressure in her eyes, too.

RTS moms...was this outpatient, don't stay the night surgery for your child? Natalie's tonsils will not be removed, and I think that is a harder recovery than adenoids, but I'm not sure. I'm sure we'll find out soon!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Austin had his tonsils and adenoids taken at the same time. I had gone to the ENT to ask why Austin had trouble breathing through his nose and he noticed big tonsils. During surgery, the dr. came out and said the adenoids were enormous and they were coming out as well. It was over an hour surgery (had complications due to an undiagnosed infection) and I requested Austin stay overnight on the peds floor. Austin had a lot of drainage and choked on it every hour so nurses came in often to drain his throat by suction. I was also 38 weeks pregant. Not fun.

Cindy said...

I remember you talking about that on the listserve, Michelle. Thanks for the input. At least I won't be pregnant! :)

Kelly said...

Hi Happy Ones
I loved the play by play of the ENT visit. I can just imagine!! :)

AnnaKate has had three sets of tubes and they took the adenoids out with the second set. The surgery lasted a whole 10 minutes and we were home and eating in the high chair within hours. Very easy for us!

AnnaKate has made dramatic progress sine her tonsillectomy so I hope removing the adenoids helps Natalie.

Can you get a recording of her saying hippotamus!!?? :)
Kelly

Kelly said...

Max has the same hat!! Got to love the snotty nose. Could they put Natalie down for a 23 hour stay. That way they have a room ready for her if she needs it or if she is doing well she can go home. We were set up with a 23 hour stay for Max's hydrocele surgery.